Historical Sites of Mariposa
California Historical Landmark 332 Coulterville
While miners worked nearby streams and veins for gold, George W. Coulter served their needs as merchant and hotel proprietor. His first store, established in 1850, was a tent stocked with merchandise hauled in by pack train. Coulter and the town which bears his name prospered, as Coulterville became the business and social capital of this area.
State Route 49 Near Main Street Coulterville
The Hornitos jail was probably built in 1851 of heavy stone blocks quarried and transported from nearby hills by Chinese labor. The three-foot-thick walls rest on bedrock. A huge iron ring is embedded in center of floor and other iron rings are affixed to the walls for shackling prisoners.
High Road Hornitos
National Register #91000547 Mariposa County High School Auditorium
Mariposa County High School Auditorium reflects the craftsmanship and skills of its Works Progress Administration workforce. It is Mariposa's best example of the Spanish Colonial Revival style and one of very few buildings in this small town designed by an architect.
5074 Old Highway North Mariposa
National Register #91000560 Mariposa Town Historic District
The Mariposa Town Historic District is associated with the development of mining, industry and commerce in Mariposa County. It was owned John C. Fremont, a major figure in the exploration of the West and a prominent figure in local and state politics. The district contains sixty-three historic buildings which are among the oldest in California and are good examples of Gold Rush era architecture.
Bounded by Charles, 11th, Jones and 4th Streets Mariposa
Louis Trabucco was born in 1821 and emigrated from Italy in 1847. He opened his first store in Bear Valley in 1856. After becoming successful in his Mariposa mining and business ventures he returned to Italy and married 19 year old Elena Lambruschini in 1860. After returning to Bear Valley they opened stores in Benton Mills, (Bagby), Mount Bullion and Mount Ophir in addition to the Bear Valley store.
SR 49 and Bear Valley Road Bear Valley